With so many Austin mental health facilities, it can be a challenge knowing which one to contact regarding alcohol or drug addiction. Omega Recovery can meet your need for treatment with effective programs designed for every stage of recovery. From intervention and detox to aftercare services, we’re here for you.
There is an increased awareness of the relationship between substance abuse and mental health illnesses. An individual suffering from both is said to be experiencing dual diagnosis or a co-occurring disorder. Both conditions alone are dangerous. When combined, they can be lethal. Therefore, it’s vital that a person experiencing both receive treatment for substance abuse and mental health disorder to increase their chances of a successful recovery.
Omega Recovery offers a sanctuary for those looking for the best Austin, Texas mental health facilities. Our inpatient and outpatient programs provide extensive treatment programs that address all aspects related to substance abuse and mental health disorders.
What are the Different Types of Mental Illnesses?
The most common types of mental illnesses are:
- Mood Disorders – These are illnesses accompanied by extreme emotions such as sadness and irritability. Examples are bipolar disorder and depression.
- Personality Disorders – The disorders affect one’s personality, and they include borderline personality disorder, antisocial disorder, and paranoid disorder. Patients have a hard time forming relationships with others. Also, their feelings, behaviors, and emotions are extreme and unpredictable.
- Anxiety Disorders – These are disorders characterized by feelings of intense worry and fear in cases that don’t warrant such reactions. Anxiety disorders keep one from participating in ordinary day to day activities.
- Eating Disorders – These are related to eating habits and one’s perception of their appearance. People with eating disorders are extremely conscious of their body weight, dislike their body image, and often have low self-esteem. Types of eating disorders are bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, and binge eating.
What are the Signs of Mental Health Illness?
Every mental health disorder has a different set of symptoms, but here are some common signs:
- Sudden changes in appetite, either a loss of appetite or binge eating.
- Dramatic changes in sleeping habits where one either sleeps too much and can barely get out of bed, or sleeps too little.
- Withdrawal from social interactions, activities, and isolating oneself from friends and family.
- Feelings of excess unexplained worry, fear, paranoia, or sadness.
- Extreme mood swings, characterized by both highs and lows.
- Substance abuse—people with mental health illnesses often self-medicate with alcohol and drugs.
How to Maintain Good Mental Health
Good mental health can be maintained by:
- Sharing your feelings with someone you completely trust. That will help you to deal with negative emotions in a healthy way, and get the help you need.
- Taking a break from your daily schedule. Too much pressure at work, school, or when it comes to family obligations are some of the leading causes of depression and other mental health disorders.
- Avoiding alcohol and drug use. Long term substance abuse intensifies symptoms of mental illness.
Live Life to the Fullest
Addiction is a curable disease that should be addressed as soon as possible. Getting the help you need from a reputable rehab facility such as Omega Recovery gives you a chance of living a normal, healthy life once again. If you’re struggling with substance abuse and a mental health disorder, and have been searching for the best Texas mental health facilities around Austin, we are here for you. Call us today on (512) 601-5407 to speak to a recovery adviser, confidentially.